Monday, October 4, 2010

Summer is OVER!

Yes, and in a big way, too! Ever since October started the days have been damp and dreary and downright depressing! The only positive note in this sad song is it's got me in the mood to make soups and stews. I am in such a mood to make soup, however, I am having a hard time deciding what kind to make! They all sound so good! My poor husband is sick with that nasty stuff I had last week so chicken noodle is definately an option. I even have leftover cutlets in the fridge that I could use. But some tomato soup with mini ravioli in it also sounds enticing. Then there is my favorite autumn sausage stew that I make with cabbage and apple juice in it. RECIPE OVERLOAD! Since we had already planned on cheesesteak sandwiches for dinner I think I am going to go with a simple tomato basil soup to go with it. I am still pretty worn out from the weekend AND the addition of a 12 week old puppy in my life. Best to keep things simple.

Basic Tomato Soup

1 tablespoon butter
1 medium onion, thinly sliced
3 cloves garlic, pressed
2 big cans tomatoes - fire roasted if possible
1 dash celery seed
2/3 cup cream
handful of fresh basil, chopped
1t or so fresh oregano, chopped
S & P to taste

Heat the butter in a large saucepan and sauté the onion and garlic 5 minutes, or until translucent. Add the tomatoes, cream and seasonings. Bring to a boil, then turn down to a simmer for 15 minutes. Add vegetable broth, tomato juice or water if mixture seems too thick. Remove from the heat and puree in batches in a blender. Return the soup to the pot and reheat to a simmer, seasoning to taste with more salt and pepper. Serve with seasoned croutons and/or grated cheese (Parmesan, mozzarella, provolone) or a nice grilled cheese sandwich.

No comments:

Post a Comment