Monday, April 13, 2020

Vegetating

So Easter has come and gone and thanks to Chinese wet markets and this lovely virus they have released, we got to see nobody for the holiday. Not a huge deal since I am no social butterfly but I would like to see my Mom and Dad sometime soon and get back to gym before my ass becomes the size of Rhode Island. For Easter the Hubs wanted a spiral ham. I know I have said repeatedly on here how much I don't really dig ham but I know he loves it and he hasn't had it in quite a while so I made it. It was ok but, for me, what I love most about holiday meals is the vegetables that go with it. This holiday was no exception. I did have an obligatory slice of ham but the rest of the meal was all about the veggies. Ironic coming from the girl who as a child would only eat corn, potatoes, and salad. My favorite on the table was a mix of brussel sprouts and asparagus. With brussel sprouts being the new kale, I am expecting these to be everywhere in the near future. Not complaining. I like them WAY better than kale. And this recipe is certainly a delicious way to prepare them!

Roasted Brussel Sprouts and Asparagus

1 package fresh brussel Sprouts, trimmed and halved (I like the  big ones)
1 bunch fresh asparagus, trimmed
2-4 Tbs olive oil
Salt and pepper
1/4 C Parmesan cheese
2-3 cloves garlic, crushed
 about 1/4 Cup balsamic vinegar

Preheat over to 400F

Rinse brussel sprouts, trim woody ends and cut in half. Place in roasting dish.
Drizzle olive oil over the sprouts, season with salt and pepper and toss to coat.
Roast for 10-15 minutes until starting to soften
Remove from the oven and add asparagus to the dish and toss to coat.
Return to the oven for another 10 minutes
While the asparagus and sprouts are finishing in the oven, mix the parmesan cheese and crushed garlic in a small bowl until garlic is no longer in one large clump.
Remove vegetable from the oven, sprinkle with the garlic-cheese mixture.
Pour a glug or two of balsamic vinegar over the vegetables and toss everything to coat and distribute the garlic cheese mixture. The residual heat from the pan and vegetables will cook off the crushed garlic and thicken the vinegar. Let stand for a minute or two and chow down.

No comments:

Post a Comment