Wednesday, April 1, 2015

A Little Bit o' Chicken Fry (Sharron, I finally remembered what I wanted to post!)

It's no secret. I love, love love me some good old fashioned fried chicken. I prefer it boneless but I will scarf down an extra crispy breast on the bone just as fast as any strip or nugget. I am still working on MY version of this American favorite and have yet to get the flavors just where I like them. I firmly believe that mastering fried chicken is a personal journey that takes a long time to complete.  This version was good but still not quite there. I think bumping up the marinade seasonings would have been a good thing as they didn't really carry over much in the meat despite the overnight marinade. I'll try that next time. I'll probably bump up the flour seasonings as well to give it more oomph.  Regardless, it was still good and I will keep working on it to get it just the way I like it. When I do make fried chicken, I always make a ton of it because 1, its messy and kind of a pain in that ass and 2,  it's delicious and the leftovers, no matter how much there are, never stick around long in my house.

Buttermilk Fried Chicken Strips

1 pound chicken breasts, cut across the grain into strips


Marinade
1 Cup buttermilk
2 tsp salt
1/4 tst cayanne pepper
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp smoked paprika

Breading
2 Cups flour
2 tsp salt
1 tsp black pepper
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp smoked paprika
2 tsp baking powder
3 Tbs buttermilk

Combine marinade ingredients and chicken strips in a large zip lock bag and marinade overnight

In a heavy bottomed, deep pan heat 3-5 Cups (depending on size of pan) frying oil to about 350F

Combine breading ingredients in a shallow dish. Dredge chicken strips in mixture to thoroughly coat and  CAREFULLY drop into hot oil. Turn strips to brown evenly. Once cooked through, transfer to a wire rack underlain with papre towels to drain and cool. Ejoy.

Like I said make extra as the leftovers make great sandwiches and are also delicious on top of salads!

No comments:

Post a Comment