Monday, June 13, 2011

Beat-a da Heat-a Fajitas!

So, last week we had out first official heat wave here in New England. Although you'd be hard pressed to believe that after the damp and chilly weekend we just had. I am talking near 100 degree days with oppressive humidity. It sucked! But I still managed to get out a nice dinner without having to slave in front of a hot stove for too long. FAJITAS! I had actually forgotten how easy and how tasty these could be, it had been so long since I last had them. Plus the cool toppings made for a refreshing yet hearty meal on such a hot day. Here is how it went...First I started with a fairly thick London Broil. Yes, I know, normally fajitas are made with flank steak or skirt steak and when those cuts go on sale for $1.99 per pound I assure you I will use them. Here and now, I had London Broil so that is what I used. I marinaded the steak overnight in a bottled salsa verde. When it came time for dinner I took the steak out of the marinade and rubbed it with some adobo seasoning (Penzey's - good stuff!)and let it sit while I prepped the veggies. The vegetables were simply sliced red bell peppers and vidalia onions and some chopped garlic. All that got put into a large skillet with a little oil and the remaining marinade from the steak. I quickly cooked that over high heat while husband threw the steak on the grill. The veggies were cooked until crisp tender and the steak to a medium-rare. The steak, once cooked, was sliced as thinly as possible and transferred to a platter. After a quick toss with some freshly chopped cilantro the veggies joined the steak and dinner was ready to serve. We used small flour tortillas, fresh salsa, sour cream, guacamole and shedded cheddar cheese to build our fajitas and we ate until we were about to burst. Both husband and I really enjoyed this meal and the thinly sliced London broil worked just fine in place of flank or skirt steak. Give it a try. You won't be disappointed!

No comments:

Post a Comment