Wednesday, May 18, 2011

I Did It Again!

I created a great dish, on the fly, not really paying attention, and now I can't quite remember how I did it! LOL! I mean, I know what I put in it but proportions - forget it. Oh well I'll do my best to explain it to you! The recipe in question - Italian Wedding Soup with Turkey Meatballs". Yes, Yes, I realize this is not an "authentic" recipe but so what - It's delicious and was perfect for warming up my poor husband who got soaked at work and was chilled to the bone. Did I mention it has been raining non-stop for a freaking week here with no end in sight! I love New England! Anyway, I was all out of ground beef but I knew I had ground turkey in the freezer. I figured this would be a good way to clear out some freezer space in anticipation of summers bounty! What I didn't realize was that it was a 3 pound package of ground turkey. Needless to say, I made a LOT of meatballs! LOL! But I don't think it's really possible to have too many meatballs! So ahead I went. Here is my recipe (I think) or at least as close to it as I can recall, LOL!

Italian Wedding Soup with Turkey Meatballs



For the Meatballs:
3 Lbs ground turkey
1/2T ground mustard
1/2T ground sage
1T Bell's poultry seasoning
1T salt
5oz garlic flavor Philadelphia Cooking Creme
3 eggs
1-1 2/2 Cups Italian seasoned bread crumbs
1/2 C romano cheese
2-3T parsley
1T onion powder

For the soup
1 medium onion chopped fine
3 carrots chopped fine
2 stalks celery chopped fine
1/2C chopped frozen spinach
4-6C chicken stock
2-3T chicken boullion paste (I use this in place of salt)
1T parsley
1T dill
small pasta of your choice

Mix all the meatball ingredients in a large bowl until fully combined and roll into balls. Place on a baking sheet and bake at 400F for about 30 minutes or so. If meatballs aren't completely cooked don't sweat it, they will finish cooking in the soup. While the meatballs are baking, saute carrots onion and celery in 2-3T olive oil in a large sauce pot until vegetables are soft. Add stock, meatballs and remaining ingedients EXCEPT the pasta. Let simmer, covered for 30 minutes or so. Add appropriate amount of pasta - don't overdo it or it will suck up all of your broth. Allow to simmer, covered until pasta is cooked. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment