Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Easy Comfort

So last night hubby was going to eat out with the boys. This means I got to make something for myself - ALL for myself. None of that, "I don't like that" shit! Yippee! The only problem was I had too many things to choose from and had a hard time deciding. Even after a 2.5 mile run I was still undecided! I had polenta, quinoa, hummus - what to do! By the time I got home from work, dropped hubby off, returned home and fed the dogs, my thoughts had shifted from what can I make for my self to what can I have on my plate in the next 10 minutes. With that I concocted the most delicious treat for myself and I kept it on the lean side as I am still trying to cut the fat and calories where I can. Success all the way around! What was my dinner - Italian sausage and broccoli over cheesy polenta. OMG YUM!!! I mixed the Italian sausage with some lean ground beef and browned and drained it to cut out some of the fat. I also prepared the polenta with just water and salt instead of my usual half and half and chicken stock. I restrained myself with the cheese too. All in all I ended up with a delicious, comforting meal that was not too fattening and very tasty! Hope you like it!



Sausage and Broccoli with Cheesy Polenta

1-2 Sweet Italian sausages
1/4 Lb lean ground beef
1 head broccoli
2 cloves garlic
1 Tbs olive oil (if needed)
crushed red pepper flakes

1 Cup instant polenta
2-3 Cups water
salt to taste
1/4 C shredded Cheddar Cheese

Brown ground beef and sausage in a pan until cooked, drain fat and set aside
Add oil, garlic and broccoli to pan and saute until broccoli is is crisp tender
Return meat mixture to pan and add red pepper flakes to taste

While meat is browning bring 2-3 cups water to a boil in a medium sauce pan.
Add polenta and reduce heat, stirring frequently
When polenta is soft add salt to taste and cheddar cheese
Once cheese is melted and fully incorporated transfer polenta to a plate and top with meat and broccoli mixture

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment