Tuesday, April 30, 2013

You Can Never Have Enough!

Meatloaf that is! This variation was inspired by a delicious looking recipe I saw on the blog Bite by Michelle. I had gone to Arthur Avenue with my girlies and stocked up on all sorts of Italian specialties including some HOT Italian sausage. Now, when I went to use the sausage it looked and smelled VERY spicy. For those of you that know me or read this blog much, my hubs has quite the tender palate. He will eat spicy foods but they have to be very sissy versions for him to enjoy. I took one look at this sausage and knew he wouldn't enjoy it. I remembered Michelle's meatloaf and said, "A-HA", I can tweak that to use this sausage. Thankfully, it all worked out and, even though the meatloaf was still a bit spicy, it was tame enough for everyone to enjoy. Success!

My Modified Michelle's Meatloaf

1 1/2 lbs ground beef
1 1/2 lb hot Italian sausage
1 medium onion, chopped
6 garlic cloves, minced
3 cups fresh good quality bread crumbs
1 cup fresh Italian parsley, chopped
sea salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
3 eggs, lightly beaten
1/2 cup bloody Mary mix
1/2 cup dry white wine
large bunch fresh basil leaves
6-10 sun-dried tomatoes, chopped
1 lb fresh mozzarella, thickly sliced

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F

In a large mixing bowl combine ground meats with eggs, breadcrumbs, parsley, onion, garlic, juice, wine and seasonings

Place mixture on a parchment or foil lined baking sheet.

Pat mixture out onto a large rectangle about 2 inches thick

Sprinkle meat with sun dried tomatoes, basil leaves and 3/4 of mozzarella.

Roll up jelly-roll style and pat ends to seal shut

Roast 1 hour

Top with remaining mozzarella cheese until melted

Let sit 10 minutes before slicing

Serve with marinara sauce

For the record, the leftovers made awesome sandwiches the next day!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment