Monday, October 6, 2014

Leftover Takeover

So,  the last weekend of September we decided to have a cookout and invite over our friends. It was a gorgeous day and there were tons of things going on all over the state. When that happens, you can never really accurately gauge how many people will actually show up. We always plan for 100% turn out and that never happens but we feel better when we are prepared and know there will be plenty of food for everyone. In this instance, we were completely overwhelmed with leftovers. Thankfully, some we could freeze and we got people to bring a good chunk of what we couldn't home with them; but we were still left with lots of chicken and shrimp. So I said, I will use up all those leftovers by making a BIG pot of jambalaya. I knew I had a ham steak in the freezer and I could pick up killer andouille sausage and all of the veggies I needed at the farm. BAM! Problem solved, leftovers consumed. Well, let me tell you, once it was all made, I had MORE leftovers than I started with! LOL! I probably had 8 pounds of the stuff! I had my parents come and help me eat some, I ate it for a few days (Hubs thought it was too spicy - the big sissy), thankfully I was hitting the Flea Markets with my bestie and her son eats like a horse so I probably sent a good 5 pounds of it home with her. I am now, thankfully, down to 1 container full! YAY! So, despite the short takeover, nearly all of the BBQ leftovers have been used and have not gone to waste!

Jamming Jambalaya (adapted from Emeril's recipe)

1 bag medium sized cocktail shrimp, thawed
4 chicken breast halves, diced
1 large ham steak, diced
1-2 tablespoon Creole seasoning, I use Tony Charchere's
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 chopped onion
2 chopped green bell pepper
4 -5 stalks chopped celery
5 cloves chopped garlic
1 chopped tomato
1/2 C white wine
1 can diced tomato with juice
3 bay leaves
1 Tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
hot sauce to taste
4 cup rice
8 cups chicken stock
8 Andouille sausage, sliced
Salt and pepper

In a VERY large saucepan heat oil over high heat with onion, pepper and celery, 3 minutes.  Add garlic, chopped tomatoes, bay leaves, Worcestershire, sausage, chicken, ham and hot sauces. Saute until meats are mostly cooked. Deglaze bottom of pot with wine, let simmer. Add canned tomatoes, chicken stock and rice. Stir. Lower heat to a simmer and place lid. Let cook low until rice is cooked and most of the liquid is absorbed. Stir in shrimp just before serving and let heat through.

Way Too Much Leftover Jambalaya!

No comments:

Post a Comment