Monday, March 22, 2021

How Low Can You Go.

  Yep, I am doing the low carb thing again and it seems to be working, albeit slowly. The hardest part is coming up with creative and tasty dishes to keep things from getting too repetitive. I can't live on zoodles and salads. I need variety! This weekend I wanted to try and use up some of the REALLY god ricotta that I got at the Italian deli and some zucchini that had been sitting in my fridge too long. I made a low-carb stuffed zucchini that was really out of this world and very easy to make. It did require 1 sort of specialty ingredient and that was a pre-cooked chicken Italian sausage that I get at Aldi. So not super special and you can certainly sub it with regular old Italian sausage if you prefer. I liked the Aldi sausage because I didn't have to cook it ahead of time cutting down on the prep work.

Low-Carb Stuffed Zucchini

1 medium zucchini, split lengthwise with centers removed (I use a melon baller to scoop out the insides)

1 Aldi pre-cooked Italian style chicken sausage

2 handfuls fresh spinach

3 cloves garlic

1 Cup GOOD Ricotta (The stuff that comes in a metal can, not plastic containers), drained

1/2 C shredded mozzarella cheese

1 Tbs balsamic glaze


1 Roughly cut up sausage and place in a food processor with spinach and garlic. Pulse until everything is chopped fine but not pasty. Transfer to a mixing bowl.

2 Add ricotta and mozzarella cheeses and stir to combine thoroughly. S & P to taste.

3 Scoop cheese and sausage mixture into zucchini shells

4 Bake at 400F for 45 minutes or until zucchini is soft.

5 Drizzle with glaze and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment