Friday, December 10, 2010

Another Photoless Post

Sorry folks! But we were so hungry for dinner last night that every last bit got scarfed down before I could even think about taking any pictures! What was it that put us in such a frenzy you ask - Chicken cordon bleu! MMMMM! While I was making Hubby lunch in the morning I realized that I had all of the necessary ingredients on hand so I grabbed some chicken breasts out of the freezer in anticipation of making it later. Husband LOVES this dish so I did not get any objections from him when I asked if that was something he would like for dinner. I was surprised how quickly this whole meal came together, too. Seriously, I prepped, assembled, cooked and ate it in a about an hour. I told you we scarfed it down! LOL! I used a standard recipe I found on allrecipes.com and adjusted it for quantity and ingredients on hand.

Chicken Cordon Bleu
adjusted from allrecipes
http://allrecipes.com//Recipe/chicken-cordon-bleu-ii/Detail.aspx

2 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
2 slices Swiss cheese
2 slices ham
1 Cup all-purpose flour
2-3 teaspoon paprika (I didn't really measure, LOL!)
6 tablespoons butter
1/2 cup chicken stock
1 cup milk

Butterfly and pound chicken breasts. Place a cheese and ham slice on each breast within 1/2 inch of the edges. Fold the edges of the chicken over the filling, and secure with toothpicks. Mix the flour and paprika in a small bowl, and coat the chicken pieces.
Heat the butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat, and cook the chicken until browned on all sides. Add the chicken stock. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer for 30 minutes, until chicken is no longer pink and juices run clear.
Remove the toothpicks, and transfer the breasts to a warm platter. Blend 1-2 Tablespoons of the unused flour-paprika mixture with the milk in a small bowl, and whisk slowly into the skillet. Cook, stirring until thickened. Salt and pepper to taste and pour over the chicken. Serve warm.

I served the chicken with some rice pilaf and sauteed carrots. The entire meal was quite satisfying and really hit the spot!

No comments:

Post a Comment