Friday, February 24, 2017

Talking Turkey

Lent is just around the corner, and while I have never been a practicing Catholic, I figured it is as good a time as any to try and make some lifestyle changes. HA! How many times have I said that on this blog! LOL! Seriously though, the last doctor appointment I had I was shocked to see the number on the scale. I knew I had been gaining weight but never dreamed that it was that much. Something has to change because I am not happy about my weight and the affect it could have on my health. I was thinking of doing the Atkins route for Lent since that worked for me in the past but I know that once you introduce carbs back in it's really hard to maintain the weight loss. Then I thought about 21-Day fix since that offers a wider array of food choices. The only think I don't like is that you are not supposed to have cream in your coffee. I like cream in my coffee and, even though it is a small thing, it is one of the few things that I don't want to give up. It is part of my morning ritual and I enjoy it. If it makes me happy, I am keeping it. So, what I figured I would do is try to meld the two. I will use 21-day fix to guide my portion sizes and allotments and try to trim carbs wherever possible and opt for whole grains over any white carbs. I am gradually easing into this program and trying new things. This week I tried cottage cheese for the first time. It wasn't horrible but I found it to be surprisingly salty. I wasn't expecting that and have to admit it wasn't my favorite. I think I will be sticking to plain Greek yogurt to go with my frozen berries. I also made this turkey meatloaf last night. Again, it is not completely healthy because I used stove top stuffing in it but it is far healthier than the beef meatloaf I usually make. When I told the Hubs I was making turkey meatloaf he made his usual "face". (EAT IT OR DIE!) When I said I was making Farro to go with it you would have thought I ripped one of his toenails out. However, once he tried it he changed his tune and really enjoyed it.

Erika's Turkey Meatloaf

1.3 pounds ground turkey
1 Tbs butter
1/2 medium onion, chopped fine
4-5 cloves garlic, minced
4-6 medium cremini (small portobellos) mushrooms, chopped fine
1 box stove top stuffing mix (chicken)
2 eggs
1/2 Cup shredded cheddar cheese
1/4 C ketchup
1 Tbs dijon mustard
pinch of salt/pepper

Preheat oven to 350F

In a frying pan, saute mushrooms, onions and garlic in the butter until mushrooms are soft and most of the liquid has evaporated. Let cool
When mushroom mixture has cooled, place in a large mixing bowl with the remaining ingredients. Mix until thoroughly combined

Place meat mixture in a roasting pan and shape into a log. OPTIONAL - coat outside of loaf with a thin layer of ketchup. Bake for 1 hour. Let stand before serving

Farro with Roasted Vegetables 

1 cup cooked Farro
3 plum tomatoes, sliced thick
1 medium onion, sliced
1 medium zucchini, cubed
2 Tbs + olive oil (i used a lemon infused olive oil)
Splash (2-3 Tbs) balsamic vinegar
salt to taste
1-2 Tbs garlic powder
1-2 Tbs onion powder (granulated)

Preheat over to 425F
Place veggies in a roasting pan. Sprinkle with salt, onion and garlic powders. Toss with oil and vinegar to coat. Roast for 20 minutes. When veggies are soft, transfer veggies and pan liquids into a bowl with the cooked farro. Toss to combine. OPTIONAL - you could add some grated Parmesan cheese to the bowl if you would like. This is how my hubs likes to eat it.


No comments:

Post a Comment