Thursday, August 11, 2011

In a Pickle

What I mean is, I am being overrun by cucumbers! I have already made three batches of refrigerator pickles and if I eat any more I just may turn into one. Who would have thought the darn things would be so prolific in my little garden. Now, I am not going to offer you a recipe for pickles today since I have been using the commercial pickling mixes that my mom gave me (thanks mom!). She gave me two different brands of dill pickle seasoning mixes and both were delicious. What I will give you today is a recipe for a cucumber salad that I have been eating since I was a kid and has always been one of my favorite things in the whole wide world. It really is a delicious treat on a hot summer day and goes nicely with grilled meats and corn on the cob. Again, I apologize for the lack of precise measurements here!

Cucumber Salad

2-3 cucumbers sliced thinly. (I recommend using a food processor, mandolin or box grater for this. Peel or not is up to you)
1 small red onion, sliced thinly
2-3 Tbs white vinegar
1-2 Tbs sugar
2 tsp dill
salt and pepper to taste
1/2-3/4 C sour cream (optional)

Mix it all together and let sit for a few hours to let flavors meld. Serve chilled. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment