Monday, September 27, 2010

My Apologies

I have been somewhat remiss in my postings of late. But I have a good excuse. I have been sick as a dog the past few days. I mean "somebody shoot me an put me out of my misery" sick! It was a sinus-throat thing and I while I put up a good fight, it kicked my ass! Thank goodness for Amoxycillin! One think I have to have when I am sick is spicy food. It's the only thing I can taste! I made a fantastic batch of enchiladas. Of course I forgot to take a picture. I have to admit to feeling rather silly photographing my dinner. I promise I'll work on getting over that. I will, however, leave you with the recipe when I get a free moment.

Erika's Pork Enchiladas

1 pound leftover roast pork butt or shoulder or leftover pulled pork, trimmed
1 medium onion, diced
3 cloves garlic minced
1 Tbs chili powder
1Tbs cumin
3-5 hot peppers, jalapeno, serrano, chipotle, chopped
Generous handful chopped cilantro
1 Tbs oil

Corn tortillas
oil for frying

1 can prepared enchilada sauce
2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded

Heat oil in a large pan and saute onions, garlic and pork until onions and garlic are soft. If using roast pork, process mixture in a food processor to get a pulled pork like consistency. Be careful not to make paste. If using pulled pork there is no need to do this. Return mixture to pan and add peppers, chili powder and cumin and continue to saute. Remove from heat and add cilantro. Set aside to cool.

While the filling is cooling prepare the corn tortillas by quickly frying them in a lightly oiled pan to soften.

Pour enough of the enchilada sauce into a 9x13 roasting pan to coat bottom. Place a few Tbs of filling across the tortilla and roll them into tube. Place the filled tortillas in the baking dish. Once dish is full pour the remaining enchilada sauce over the tortillas, top with cheddar cheese and bake at 350 until heated through and cheese is melted. Serve with sliced avocados, sour cream and chopped lettuce and tomatoes.

This recipe works well with chicken and beef as well and you can also add beans. The filling combinations are endless!

No comments:

Post a Comment