Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Now I Know Why!



Ladies and gentlemen, I learned something this week! I now know why stuffed cherry peppers are so damn expensive. It has a little to do with the fact that good provolone cheese and prosciutto ain't cheap but more to do with the fact that they are a TOTAL pain in the ass to make. The worst part - coring and seeding. Making these things seemed like a great idea until I had been coring and seeding little tiny peppers for an hour and a half! WTF! But I'll be damned if I don't finish what I start so I pressed on until they were all done.

Once all the peppers were cored and seeded they were quickly rinsed and allowed to drain before going into a plastic bucket of white vinegar. I weighted them down with a plate to ensure they stayed completely covered. The peppers soaked in the vinegar for 24 hours. After the soaking I rinsed them again and allowed them to drain. Then I got a nice block of sharp provolone and cut cubes to fit inside each pepper. Each cheese cube was wrapped with a piece of prosciutto before being shoved into the hollowed out pepper. I used the back of a spoon to tuck in any pieces of prosciutto that were being "resistant", LOL! I ended up with about two and a half quarts of peppers! Once all were stuffed they went into containers and I poured Olive oil over them to cover. Husband was very happy to see these when he got home. So happy in fact that he took them all! It's okay though, I really had made them for him anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment