Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Soup is good food!



Well, it's been a scorcher of a summer here in New England and I have been loving it. This week we were lucky enough to get a much needed break in the summer weather and have been experiencing a few days of classic New England dampness. Overcast skies, wind, rain and humidity. Perfect timing since we really did need the water and because I had some leftover prime rib that I wanted to make into soup. No fucking way I am making soup when it's 90 degrees outside. I saw my opportunity and I took it. I started out with leftover bone-in prime rib roast that I put in the crock pot with some beef stock. I let this simmer over night. I woke up about 2 or 3 AM and turned the pot off so the meat would be cool enough to handle when I really had to get up. Now, I just want everybody to know that I did not set my alarm to do this. I just happened to wake up and thought to do it. I don't set my alarm to make soup. LOL! Anyway, when I got up for real around 6AM, I removed the meat from the pot and seperated out all of the icky fat - BLECH! I then returned the meat to the pot and added a few shakes of worcestershire sauce, chopped garlic, onions, celery and carrots. I also salted the broth to taste. I turned the pot back on and left for work. When I got home I was greeted by the smells of beef - perfect for a damp and gloomy day! I added some tubetini noodles to the pot and proceeded to complete a few household chores. When I was done the pasta was fully cooked and I had myself a nice bowl of homemade soup for dinner. YUM! The weatherman says the hot weather will return tomorrow so I will probably have to freeze the rest but at least I will have it on hand for the next wave of cool weather. YAY!

No comments:

Post a Comment