Friday, May 20, 2011

Easiest Thing Ever!

So I bought corn on the cob last week, stuck it in the veggie drawer of my refrigerator and promptly forgot all about it. I discovered it while getting the celery for my Italian wedding soup. DAMMIT! I hate wasting food and what I saw through the bag was not pretty. But to be sure, I peeled back the husk and the corn underneath looked pretty good. The mess I saw at first glance was in actuality the corn silk turning into ICK. So, I shucked the corn and quickly cooked it lest I forget about it again. Next it was off into the cupboards to see what I could do with all this corn. To my delight I had lots of good canned stuff that I promptly used to create a pretty awesome corn and black bean salad/salsa! The only thing I had to go out and get was a lime. Hooray! Here is how I put it together.

Corn and black bean salad/salsa

1 can fire roasted diced tomatoes (Hunt's brand)
1 can black beans with cumin and chili spices (Kuner's brand)
2 chipotle peppers in adobo, diced
1/2 white onion diced small
5 ears of corn, cooked and kernels cut from the cob
Juice of 1 lime
salt to taste
1/4 c chopped cilantro (I keep my extra in the freezer)

Basically you just mix everything together and let sit to meld the flavors. The only can I drained was the beans. I drained them but didn't rinse them to keep the seasonings in. You could certainly drain the tomatoes too for a drier salad/salsa. If you are not a big fan of heat you can also leave out one of the chipotles to tone it down a bit. This mixture did have a pretty good kick. I really liked it but it was a tad too much for my husband's tender palate.

No comments:

Post a Comment