Friday, January 12, 2018

Sweet Endings

Have you ever seen the crescent roll apple dumplings recipe online? I have had them bookmarked for quite a while. They have been favorable reviewed on several food blogs as well. Some calling them, "to die for". Quite frankly, unless you are on death row, I don't think ANY food is good enough to die for, especially one made with canned crescent rolls and soda. A few weeks ago I was planning a nice dinner and wanted a fast and easy dessert to end the meal. I don't remember what all happened but what DIDN'T happen was dessert so the ingredients I had bought ended up just hanging around my kitchen. Yesterday, I noticed the apple I had bought was starting to show signs of it's age and, rather than waste it, I made the darn dessert. It was tasty, especially served with vanilla ice cream, and it was super fast and easy to make. I would recommend buying the largest apple you can find for this recipe because the smaller slices seemed to get lost in the dough. I would even go so far as to recommend getting 6 slices out of your apple instead of 8, as specified in the recipe, to ensure that you get a good dose of apple flavor. I also read that you can use splenda and diet soda int he recipe if you want to trim some calories. I used diet soda and real sugar in my preparation and it tasted just fine to me. It didn't knock my socks off, nor was it remotely, "to die for" but it was good. Would I make it again? Sure, I would. Fast, easy, and tasty always works for me!

Pillsbury Crescent Roll Apple Dumplings (Click title to be magically transported to the original recipe)

Ingredients

2 cans (8 oz each) Pillsbury™ Refrigerated Crescent Dinner Rolls
2 green apples (Granny Smith or Golden Delicious)
1 1/2 cups butter, melted
1 cup packed light brown sugar
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
3/4 cup (6 oz) lemon-lime carbonated beverage (Sprite, 7-Up, Mountain Dew)


Heat oven to 350° F. Spray 13x9-inch pan with cooking spray

Separate 2 cans (8 oz each) Pillsbury™ Refrigerated Crescent Dinner Rolls at perforations to make 16 triangles.

Peel and core apples. Cut each apple into 8 slices.

Place 1 apple slice on shortest side of each dough triangle. Starting with shortest side of triangle, roll to opposite point enclosing apple slice; arrange in pan.

In medium bowl, stir together 1 1/2 cups melted butter, 1 cup packed light brown sugar and 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon. Pour mixture evenly over dumplings.

Pour 3/4 cup (6 oz) lemon-lime carbonated beverage in center and along edges of pan. (Do not pour on top of dumplings.)

Bake 35 to 40 minutes or until golden brown and thoroughly baked. Remove from oven to cooling rack. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.

Serve with vanilla ice cream or whipped cream

No comments:

Post a Comment