Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Lesson Learned

Yesterday was just and epic sucky day from beginning to end. It isn't that anything particularly bad happened. I was just tired. I mean really, REALLY tired. Tired to the point where I just didn't give a shit about anything and all I could think about was getting my ass home and back to bed. Somehow before that could happen I had to get dinner on the table. UGH! That meant casserole. That meant the easiest casserole I could think of. Now, I don't make a lot of casseroles so I am on a learning curve with them (still). All I knew is that there was no way in hell I was going to do anything more than throw a bunch of stuff in a casserole dish, turn the oven timer on and do absolutely nothing until the oven went DING! The end result of my exercise in minimalism turned out quite tasty but took a hell of a lot longer to cook than expected. In the future I now know that I should bring the cooking liquid to a boil prior to mixing it in the casserole and baking it. That would cut the cooking time in half and keep the kitchen from becoming an inferno because the oven has been on for two hours. Instant rice might be a good idea too. Lesson Learned.

Erika's Too Tired to Cook (or do anything else)Casserole

1 1/2 C long grained white rice
2 medium sized broccoli crowns, chopped
1-2 C chopped cooked ham
1 C shredded Cheddar Cheese
1 can cheddar cheese soup
3 C chicken broth
1 Tbs chopped garlic

Put rice, cheese, ham and broccoli in a casserole dish.
In a separate bowl wisk together broth, soup, and garlic. Stir into casserole dish. Cover and bake 2 hours, stirring occasionally, or until rice is cooked. Add more broth if necessary. salt snd pepper to taste

No comments:

Post a Comment