Wednesday, June 1, 2011

The Trouble with Teriyaki

So, last nights dinner was great, I mean super duper great. What made it that way was, in part, due to the fact that we kept it very simple. Both Husband and I still hadn't fully recovered from the holiday weekend debauchery and, quite frankly, we were tired (for the record he was crabby AND tired). As luck would have it, the steak I intended to cook Friday was still marinading in the refrigerator. I had marinaded it in a bottled teriyaki sauce. Now, I love teriyaki but it's really hard to find a version that works for me. I did find a recipe many years ago but neglected to note which cookbook it came from and have yet to find it again. Same goes for bottled stuff - I can't seem find one I really like. Most of the time it's just too salty whether I buy it from a bottle or make it from scratch! The marinade I used this time around was part old bottled stuff that I didn't particularly like all that much and part new bottled stuff that I hadn't tried yet. Together they were da bomb! The old stuff wasn't sweet enough and a tad too salty. I have a feeling the new stuff was very sweet because it was REALLY thick when I poured it into the bowl with the steak. I haven't tried it by itself to confirm that though. I now wonder if it would be too sweet by itself and whether I need to keep buying both brands to mix up the teriyaki sauce of my desires. LOL! Hey I'll do it if I have to!!!! Anyway, after four days in the teriyaki bath, the steak (flank steak, btw) grilled up to sweet, flavor-filled perfection. To accompany the steak we also grilled up some zucchini - again very simple - just butter, garlic, sliced zucchini and salt in a foil packet and finished the meal with a standard boxed rice that I added some sliced carrots to. Everything worked together beautifully and was quick and easy to make. Even Mr. Crankypants was pleased!

No comments:

Post a Comment