Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Welcome Home Dinner Ideas

So hubby has been away on a work trip and I am trying to think of something super special to make him as a welcome home dinner. I am really pulling my hair out over this one for a couple reasons. First - He is coming back mid-week so I will be at work all day, meaning that whatever I make has to be relatively simple and/or quick. Chances are I will only have an hour or two to pull it all together. Second - hubby is a man of simple tastes. Bless his heart. I could slave for hours in the kitchen making something complicated and fussy and he would be just as happy, if not happier, with a large pepperoni pizza from our neighbohood pizza joint. He would never say this and would still be appreciative of my efforts but I would still know. So what is a devoted wife to do??? Make homemade pizza?? That I could do but the dough would take too long. Maybe I could do a no knead dough the night before and leave it in the fridge overnight?? Would that work? Guess I will have to read up. Otherwise maybe roast beef and scalloped potatoes?? Fried chicken? Chicken Parmesan?? Could I pull a sauce together in an hour? I think I could. Meatloaf, although a favorite of his, seem a little too easy. Feel free to chime in with ideas.

UPDATE: I made cubesteaks in the crockpot so that hubby could come home to the smell of dinner cooking in case he got home before me. They were good but not my best. The flavor was there but the steaks ended up being overcooked. Should have set the pot to low and not high. I am still mastering the crockpot.

No comments:

Post a Comment